April 15, 2009

The Cruelty Of Hope

Hope can be a terrible thing. Liverpool went into their away tie with Chelsea yesterday needing to win and score at least 3 goals in the process. I knew there was almost no chance of them waltzing into the bridge and pulling off a 3-0 victory. But then they went up 2-0 about 30 minutes in and I had hope. 60 minutes later they walked off the pitch of their 4-4 draw with any dreams of European glory gone. And I was left wishing I hadn't hoped. But then I took stock and realized that I would not trade that brief time of hope for anything. Hope is a big part of what makes sports great. And that is what keeps many of us coming back for more.

Speaking of hope, we are just a few hours away from the Penguins getting the NHL playoffs back underway against the Flyers. There are still a few "ifs" hanging over this Pittsburgh team like black clouds. But it is a new season and anything can happen. And I have hope...

Also, it has been 20 years...

No comments: